Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Haters Gon' Hate


I've been an Auburn fan since as far back as I can remember. My Gramps bought me an Auburn t-shirt once, when I was about 5, it was orange and had a tiger on it - and I was obsessed with Tigers and the color orange.  I knew absolutely nothing about sports at that time - but the Auburn Tigers became my favorite team. Years later, my cousins all attended Auburn which added to my love for the University.

Last year, was Auburn's year with Cam Newton. Despite all the controversy, Cam was able to bring his team to the BCS Championship game and win it all.  Throughout the season, I relentlessly bragged to anyone who would listen that Cam was freaking Superman, and he would win the Heisman and later be drafted number one overall.  My brother-in-law fought me on it, through and through. I'm pretty sure he made comments about me being a "chick that doesn't know anything." Well, BOOYAH, D-Sabe. Cam showed you!

D-Sabe, and multiple others, told me to stop bragging because Cam wouldn't amount to anything in the NFL. Again, my fierce loyalties had me fired up and I promised Cam would be unstoppable in the NFL.  Maybe I was a little bold with that statement considering Carolina's record is just 4-9, but the truth is, Cam has been pretty damn near amazing.  For those of you on the hater wagon, let's just recap Cam Newton's season thus far:

    • Most passing yards by a quarterback in debut game (422),
    • Most passing yards by a quarterback in first two games (854),
    • Most passing yards by a rookie in a game (432),
    • First quarterback in NFL history to pass for more than 400 yards in first career start,
    • First quarterback in NFL history to pass for more than 400 yards in first two career starts,
    • Fastest player to throw for 1,000 yards,
    • First player in NFL history with at least five rushing touchdowns and five passing touchdowns in his first five games,
    • First rookie in NFL history to throw for 10 touchdowns and run for 10 touchdowns in a season,
    • Most rushing touchdowns in single season by a quarterback (13).
Granted, I'll give the haters the fact that Cam has 14 interceptions. But right now, that averages out to 1.07 a game.  Not bad for a Rookie!!! PS, if anyone is wondering who holds the title for most interceptions thrown in a rookie season, it's the future Hall of Famer, Peyton Manning, with 28.

Amanda, this one is for you - Haters are going to hate and someone is always going to have something negative to say - but seriously, In Cam we trust. He may hesitate and he may throw interceptions, but give Carolina a year or two to build a decent defense and offensive line - and I can see a Championship ring on Cam Newton's finger.

Sources: Wikipedia (don't judge, it's the easiest way to get the stats), and Bob Edgar's facebook for the picture!

4 comments:

  1. Look at all those pretty numbers! Okay, I'm back on track. I have faith. THANKS JILL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotchu! From a Boston sports fan, just remember to keep the faith. It may take a while, but it will come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 of your 9 points refer to 2 games that happened 3 months ago. What that would lead me to believe is that he came out running, and has now tripped up after the quick start. I think he's an exciting player to watch, but also that he has a lot to learn about his team and the NFL. He's still acting like a 1 man show, and that's a huge problem for his team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think he had an advantage in those first couple games where there was no game tape for his opponents to study him on. So, yes, perhaps, that is why he played 2 ridiculously phenomenal games at the start of the season. Like most rookies, he does have a lot to learn, I think the lockout was a huge disadvantage to him in that aspect. As far as him acting like a one man show, I don't see him team complaining about that. Maybe it will hurt them in the future, but hopefully this off season he can really work with them and become comfortable with them, something he was unable to do this off season.

    ReplyDelete