Sunday, December 18, 2011

Last Stop on the Tebow Train


As most people know - I am a New Englander that doesn't typically root for the Patriots. I know, blasphemy - I get it. In all honesty, I'm just not a Brady fan. I give the guy major props for being a great quarterback - but there's just something about him that irks me. Maybe it's because I hold grudges like it's my job and I was a huge Bledsoe fan. Who knows? Regardless....when Brady took the starting QB position about a decade ago (give or take a few years), I lost all interest in the Patriots.

With the threat of there being no NBA this season, I needed something to entertain me this winter - so, I decided to give Fantasy Football a go. It's been freaking amazing. I've learned so much about the sport and a lot more about most of the players in the league that I never really acknowledge before. Including, Patriots players. And I must say, little by little, I've been feeling my Patriots Pride returning. Most people will probably say it's because my beloved Colts are having a craptastic season (totally pumped they pulled off a win today!!). But, I still love my Colts through and through. And Cam Newton has me rooting on the Panthers. But I can't help but root for Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Arrington and Wilfork (just to name a few). I really am trying to hate the team. But I can't.

So, as I watched the Pats play in Denver today I was having a war with myself. I wanted so badly to see Brady fail, because I take ridiculous joy in seeing it. But, I just couldn't cheer against the rest of the team. It was a weird experience.

What irritated me even more than cheering for the Patriots, was signing onto facebook after the game and my facebook being blown up by anti-Tebow statuses.

Now, I'm the first to admit - I don't understand the Tebow hype. I get the amazing comebacks he's had and the fact that going into the game against the Patriots he was 6-1 since he became the starting QB. But I just don't get the pop culture phenomenon he's created. I'm not the most religious person but it's like all of America has been mocking the poor dude for God being his BFF. Not cool, America.

Week after week, I've been reading facebook statuses from my (New England) facebook friends praising Tebow and celebrating Tebow Time and uploading their very own photos of them Tebowing.  And now, that the New England Patriots beat the Broncos those same people have jumped off the Tebow Train and are gloating about the win.

Pick a side people. If you want to be a fan of "God's nephew" and the Patriots - all the power to you. There is no reason not to be. If you want to be a fan of Jesus' Homeboy and the Broncos - that's also your prerogative. Tebow is an exciting player to watch.  But for the love of God, do not act like the Patriots own the world and make it seem like hell has frozen over and Tebow now sucks because the Patriots won. Newsflash - I'm no psychic but I would have put money on a Patriots win today. Brady did not part the Red Sea with this win. Although, he did kind of part a blue and orange sea with that rushing TD, but that's beside the point.

I should add, to the one Patriots fan that noted he's never been this sad after a Patriots win. Thank you for keeping it real. At least someone didn't jump off the Tebow Train Bandwagon with the loss.

PS - If anyone can explain the Tebow phenomenon to me or the reason the Pats beating the Broncos is such a huge deal (besides the obvious clinching of the AFC East) I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment